Sunday, September 16, 2012

Introducing me!




When you are looking for an internship you have to go through the interviewing process. To prepare for the interview you think about questions they might ask you and how you might answer those questions. I never got asked this question but I had the perfect answer. 

So here it is, who your role model is? My answer would have been simple, Tom Brady. I know we are nothing alike, I mean he is a professional athlete and I can barely walk. He is very tall and I am barely average height for my age, but I look up to his character. Tom Brady is the true story of an underdog. Most people see Tom as one of the best quarterbacks of all time, a future hall of famer, but what they do not see is the story of a man who never gave up on his dream, a man who still works hard for his dream. 

Brady went unnoticed in college being a backup for his four years of college ball. He was only asked to step in when the team was losing. But Brady was able to prove himself time and time again and dig his team out of a ditch and win games. For some reason he was over looked. Then came time for Brady to enter the NFL draft, Brady waited with his family through all the rounds waiting for his name to be called. Round one went by, followed by round two and three. Brady began to give up hope on his NFL dream. Finally, in round six number 199 the New England Patriots drafted Tom Brady. 

Brady still had to prove himself. He followed in the steps of Drew Bledsoe for years before getting a chance to shine. Tom never gave up hope though, one of my favorite stories is Brady running into Robert Kraft (the team owner) and telling him that he would not regret drafting Brady. Imagine telling your boss that you will do what you can to make a difference on the team! Brady got his chance to prove he was great when Bledsoe went down with an injury. Since then Brady works hard to always improve, even though he has won three Super Bowls!

How does Brady relate to me? I feel a lot like Brady, overlooked at most things waiting for the opportunity to shine. I have always seen myself as something special just waiting for my big moment. I like Brady have been working hard at my dreams, hoping one day I too will get my big break!
I clearly love sports. So it is no surprise that I tried to get my internship at Fox Sports in Boston. I had interviewed over the summer, and waited for a response. After about two weeks of waiting I interviewed with a Boston radio station as a member of the promotions team. I heard back from the radio station within a week and was getting ready to accept the internship, when fate stepped in and I received an email from Fox.

 Excited and torn I had to weigh my options. Would I be brave enough to try and make it into a man’s field, to try to make my mark on sports? Or would I take a safe route and take the promotions internship I knew I would do well in. After many sleepless nights I decided to take a leap of faith and accept the internship with Fox! 

So this blog is going to be my journey as a girl intern trying to make it in a sports field.

No comments:

Post a Comment