Friday, November 16, 2012

Playing The Field



Photo by: Nikki Romanuk Patriot Practice
Networking is hard; I admit it but it necessary to all aspects of life. This week I went to the Patriots practice, this is becoming my new weekly adventure with Walt. In the car ride to the stadium Walt advised me to talk to other reporters and get advice from them on how they choose to go about their stories. This is sort of difficult because what I am realizing is that people, have completely different ways on tackling their stories. It is also hard because I am finding out, that I am not as outgoing as I once thought. This goes back to the asking for help thing. I really do not like asking people for help, it is difficult for me to do so. But overcoming all of that made interesting and great learning experiences.

In true Walt fashion, he introduced me to Trenni. Trenni works for Comcast sports and is a great person to talk to. She gave me great advice about how to write scripts and how to shoot rails. Finding the angles are pretty easy, but writing the angles into sports talk is a bit harder than I had anticipated, and filming those angels is beyond difficult. It is in this area that I feel at a disadvantage. Most people that go into broadcasting learn how to talk into the camera, and how to write out their angle, I on the other hand am just learning. Sometimes I am feeling very insecure about what I am saying and doing, it is almost like being a t-ball player in the World Series.

Trenni also gave me advice about being a girl in the sports world. I really admire Trenni and she was very willing to help me out. The other person Walt lectured me to talk to is Rhett Lewis from channel 7. At first I thought it was unfair to talk to Rhett because he is in a competing market, but Walt assured me that I have to talk and network to everyone. Walt also told me that Rhett has working in a major sports market longer than Brendan so he has more knowledge on the topic. Rhett was very nice and gave me some advice, pretty much “whatever I find interesting most people will want to hear.”

Photo By: Nikki Romanuk Patriot's Rob Gronkowski
The Stand Up

I am finding that you need to shoot what is known as a package. I am told there are many different ways people film these, but the basic idea is that the anchor comes on screen, introduces a story, plays some footage and is talking over the footage with their story and then comes back on screen to finish up. That is very basic and I am learning there are about a million and one ways of doing this, (something I might have learned if I attended broadcasting school). But I was preparing to shoot one.
The previous night I had written out a script of what I wanted to say, and I was relying on the sound I had not yet gotten, not the smartest idea, but I did not have a choice. So I felt discouraged when the players did not talk about the angle I had written out. Then it came time to shoot, this package. During shooting I was extremely nervous, I did not have the script memorized, and I kept forgetting to breathe. After about ten takes and eight minutes, and I did not get one full take. 

I was very discouraged about my horrific performance, but Walt reassured me that it is a starting point and I can only get better. I would later watch Rhett do his stand up and noticed how good and talented he was. 

The Elevator

After the stand up and lunch, we made our way to the practice field. Walt wanted to get to the practice field sooner rather than later, because time is limited so we rushed into an elevator. The elevator had some room and I squeezed into the hole. Now the hole was not huge and I kept hitting people with my backpack, which I kept forgetting I had on. If hitting people with my backpack was not bad enough, I was holding the tripod, and knocking that around. 

Photo By Nikki Romanuk Bill Belechick
Something struck me odd on this elevator ride, normally people talk and joke around, but this ride was quiet. Walt and I were the only two people talking and joking around. Finally we made it to the bottom floor and I hear someone say, “Do you want to get off first coach?” I realize at that point that I might have hit Bill Belichick a few times with my backpack. Some first impression?

We finally make it to the practice field and we are freezing, but we look for the key players or the players that we know stories will be about. It is interesting watching the practice even for a short period of time.  The whistle blows and all media is kicked out. That ends my day as a reporter. Next week I will attend another practice and work hard on my stand up. Later guys.






No comments:

Post a Comment