Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Talk

I knew that I had to talk to the Producer Chad the next time we were both in the studio, but I am not one to bring things up. Despite popular belief I am not a fan of confrontation especially when it is about my job or potential job. I started talking to Chad like normal and then he brought up the words no person wants to hear, "we need to talk." I knew this was it and I needed to be prepared for what ever came my way.

I braced myself for negativity, partly because I was being negative about the situation, and I thought Chad would be negative as well. I was surprised when the talk went in a positive way. Chad explained to me that he too came from a communications back round instead of taking a broadcasting route, that was something I needed to hear because I felt at such a disadvantage going into the internship.

Chad had explained to me that in this type of field I need to be more vocal about what I want. I need to start and ask for more tasks like learning how to create a highlight, or shooting standup, even asking to go to practices and games. I really need to keep asking people in order to get what I want out of sports.

Asking people for more tasks is hard for me because I never want to come across needy or feel like I am nagging people. I was very surprised that this is the way this internship was run. Chad also told me that my concerns were valid, and I was asked to do certain tasks because I am an organized person, and everything I do is organized and make his job a lot easier.

 I really admire that even though I felt like i was being a baby about the situation, he found the positive and helped me understand more things. Chad also advised me that he would not hold that against me.

I learned how to edit that night and have set time to try and create highlights. Chad told me he would critique them and I would learn more on my own. This made me happy that I would be taking learning into my own hands. I felt like something was accomplished.

That night we, Brendon, Chad and myself, went out for dinner, nothing special just Five Guys, but  I finally felt like part of the team, and felt more positive than I was feeling. I now have a new cut throat attitude, towards sports, that makes me feel like a Bitch some times, but I realize I need to do what I have to do to survive in this industry. That means calling people out when they do not do their job right and just trying to be better at all the different tasks I do.

Until next time guys I am out and working on being more hardcore!

No comments:

Post a Comment